Sunday, September 5, 2010

A Birthday.

September 2009
Today, a niece is celebrating her first birthday party. I can't even believe it's been a year since we all gathered at the hospital in anticipation of her arrival. I actually got to be in the delivery room along with my brother in law and a few other members of our family. It doesn't get much more exciting than that. As I reflect on the children in my greater family, I am reminded of my responsibility to them concerning teaching them about the Lord. In Deuteronomy 11:19, 20 Moses was giving the Israelites specific instructions from the Lord. He says, "Fix these words of mine in your hearts and mind; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.". Umm...it sounds like to me that the only times we don't have opportunity to teach our children about God and His Word are when they're asleep. I have to take this to heart. I do believe that God should penetrate our lives so fully, that it should come as second nature to work Him into our conversations with our kids in whatever we are doing with them. I love to go into a home that is adorned with scripture passages in wall hangings, on paintings, crosstitched, etc...It makes me feel joyful. Imagine how effective it is for our children to see us living out our faith in our own lives. They are ever watching. I feel this way not only about my four little "sets of eyes", but also ALL the little eyes that are watching me. So as I prepare to celebrate another milestone in my family, I am determined this next year to walk more closely with God and bring my children along with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment