Saturday, September 11, 2010

A Blueberry Muffin Worth Making.

My favorite cooking show is Barefoot Contessa. I love Ina Garten's sense of style. Some of her recipes are a little too ritzy for me, but for the most part, she uses lots of simple ingredients to create fabulous food. This blueberry muffin recipe is a great example. I once made these to send with my daughter on a church trip in which she would be on a bus for several hours. The group was leaving early in the morning and I thought this would be a good, portable breakfast for them to enjoy. I believe they were gobbled up within thirty minutes of leaving.  I often freeze leftover muffins. It's so easy to throw them in a gallon ziplock bag and forget about it. I can take out however many I need, zap them in the microwave, and enjoy with a cup of coffee. That's my kind of breakfast. These are called Blueberry Coffee Cake Muffins. Here's a list of ingredients: 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter (at room temperature), 1 1/2 cups sugar, 3 extra-large eggs (at room temperature), 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, 8 ounces sour cream, 1/4 cup milk, 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp kosher salt, and 2 half-pints fresh blueberries. Preheat the over to 350 degrees. Put 16 paper liners in muffin pans. Cream butter and sugar together in electric mixer until light and fluffy. With mixer on low speed, add the eggs 1 at a time, then add the vanilla, sour cream and milk. In a seperate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. With the mixer on low speed add the flour mixture to the batter and beat until just mixed. Fold in the blueberries with a spatula. Scoop the batter into muffin liners, filling each cup just over the top, and bake for 25 to 30 minutes. The muffins should be lightly browned on top. Can I tell you that these are so much better than the muffins you make from the mix that you just have to add milk to. Hey, I'm not judging. I use muffin mixes too. These, however, will get great accolades from the family. And, that's not such a bad thing either.

No comments:

Post a Comment