Thursday, September 30, 2010

A Whirley Pop.

If you go into my house on any given day, you are likely to see my whirley pop sitting on the stovetop. "What's a whirley pop?", you might ask. It's the best thing I've found to pop popcorn in...bar none. It is a deep pan that has this crank attached to the top. Put the popcorn kernels in the pot and start turning the crank, which is attached to a "stirrer" (for lack of a better word) that keeps the kernels moving while they  are over the heat. The top also has two vents in it so that the steam can escape. In order to get tender popcorn, two things must occur, the kernels have to be able to move around and the steam has to be able to escape. I pop 1/3 cup of kernels in 1 tsp. of canola oil. That's practically fat-free, when you consider it makes a large bowl of popcorn. It takes hardly any time to make it either. It may take 3 minutes from start to finish to pop a big bowl. I love the smell too. Don't think you will be able to enjoy this snack by yourself if there is anyone else home. It's impossible. The smell of fresh popped popcorn penetrates the house and people can't help but follow their noses right into the kitchen. The whirley pop comes with a neat recipe book that will give you instructions for making several different flavors of popcorn too. I love making kettle corn, and it couldn't be easier. I googled the whirley pop and found it available for purchase on lots of different sites. It makes an excellent gift too. I gave one to my Dad about five years ago, and he still uses it (practically every week). The kids really get into to it as well because they can turn the crank as the kernels are popping, and I haven't met a kid that didn't like that. Now that Fall is here, popcorn balls make wonderful after school treats and can be used for Trick or Treat favors as well. I would much rather get a popcorn ball in my bag than jolly ranchers or suckers or starburst candies. *Notice I didn't include chocolate in that list.* At any rate, I think you'll find that the whirley pop would make an excellent addition to your kitchen. So "pop" on over to the computer and order one online today. I don't think you will regret it.-------- Credit: the above picture came off a website that absolutely rocks......bigredkitchen.com. I'm making one of her recipes tonight for supper tonight. Bar-B Cups....oh my. I'm sure you'll be reading about them very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment