Saturday, September 25, 2010

A Stovetop Potpourri.

I really enjoy going into other people's homes and taking in their sense of style. In fact, it's almost fascinating to me. I like to observe the decor, the personalization, and.....the smell. It's true. Sometimes it may be the wonderful smell of what's cooking in the oven that instantly makes you feel at home. Or sometimes it's that big candle burning on the coffee table that draws you in. My sister-in-law bought some great Febreeze wall plug-ins that greet you with a wonderful fragrance when you walk in her place. Whatever it is that defines the scent in your home, it should be pleasant and welcoming. Which brings me to today's post. Is it too early in the season to start simmering potpourri on the stovetop? I hope not, because I'm so ready to let the simmering begin. A few years ago, I gave this potpourri mix to my kids' support staff at school for Christmas.  I wrapped them up in cellophane bags and finished them with red ribbons and cinnamon sticks tied in the bow. A printed instruction card with my kid's Christmas greetings to the staff completed the look. Here's the recipe: 1 whole orange (or you can just use the orange peel if you like), 1/2 cup cranberries (frozen will work fine), 1 Tbsp. whole cloves, 3 sticks of cinnamon, and a bit of grated nutmeg (optional). Quarter the orange. Put all the ingredients into a saucepan and fill with water. Place on the smallest burner on stovetop on low. Refill water as needed. This will keep for several days, just burn it everyday and keep the water in it. I got this particular version of stovetop potpourri and the picture from make-it-do.com. Now go on out and get the stuff to make this. Let's enjoy this time of year and the wonderful scents that accompany it.

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't find fresh or frozen cranberries at my local Wal-Mart so I used dried cranberries that I found in the same section as the raisins. Works fabulously. And my house smells soooooo good right now. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete